Giraffeeeees!!

I love Giraffes. I have always loved giraffes, they have intrigued me since I was a little tot. When I visited my grandparents in Germany, I would go to the Frankfurt Zoo and sit all day staring at the giraffes; plotting how to design a saddle so that I could ride them. You can imagine my disappointment when I discovered I could never ride them because it would break their backs. Did you know that The word Giraffe, comes from the Arabic word - zerafa, which means charming or lovely one.

So you can understand my joy when my friend, Lacey, gave me a family of giraffes in SL for my home Zoo. They are amazing in detail. They do not move around but their ears flicker and one will lower its head periodicity to eat from the ground. They are created by Sculpty Creations Animals by Jon Haskell. They are reasonably priced at 800L, I think for the quality that they are its a bargain (but I could be under the influence of my giraffe thrall).
In fact I loved them so much I went to to see if they had others and they did!! A set of two laying down for 600L. So I got them too! Now I have an official herd in my sky orb that I can watch all day long as I blog. I am so happies with my new babies!
So in theme of tonight's blog post I leave you with some simple but fun Giraffe facts! 

✪ A giraffe has just 2 gaits, walking and galloping.
✪ Thinking that its parents were a camel and a leopard, the Europeans once called the animal a "camelopard."
✪ The neck of a Giraffe can be as long as 8 feet! Their tongue is a foot long. Both man and giraffes have the same amount of neck bones - 7.
✪ The Giraffe is the tallest animal of all. Male giraffes normally weigh between 2,400 and 3,000 pounds and can stand up to 19 feet tall. Female giraffes can be up to 16 feet tall and weigh between 1,600 and 2, 600 pounds.
✪ The giraffe can drink 12 gallons in one setting
✪ In Atlanta, Georgia, it is illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp. 
✪ An average sized giraffe has legs that are 6 feet long.
✪ A giraffe’s heart can pump 16 gallons of blood in one minute
✪ Some giraffe species have five horns on their heads
✪ A giraffe is one of the few animals born with horns. The baby giraffe's horns lie flat on its head before it is born and only 'pop upright' during it's first week of life.
✪ Giraffes can reach a speed of up to 60 km/h (37 mph)
✪ Giraffes have the longest tail of any land mammal – up to 8 feet long, including the tuft at the end
✪ Two of the 9 subspecies of giraffes are currently Endangered species: the West African Giraffe or Nigerian Giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis peralta), and the Rothschild's Giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis rothschild
✪ Their heart is 2 feet long and weighs about 25 pounds
✪  Mom Giraffes form a type of daycare for their young. One of the females in the herd will stay behind and babysits all of the youngsters while the rest of the females go out foraging for food.


Trivia Sources
Alltrivia.net
Facts About Animals

Till tomorrows post take care all!
~Taliferrue
Theme images by Airyelf. Powered by Blogger.